Thursday, July 11, 2013

easy color sort for motor skills

I am the type of mom who likes to keep things very simple. If I have to print something or cut and glue something, most of the time I will not add the idea to my "to do" list. I have enough on my plate. So I was thrilled when I threw together this activity with items we had in the boys' room to work on several skills for Bugaboo.

Bugaboo (age 2 1/2) is currently working on being able to sort colors. Additionally, we are always working on his gross and fine motor skills as well as his speech and language development.

Earlier this week I was about to work on sorting Duplos into color piles with Bugaboo. Color sorting is not something he really enjoys doing with me. I was just about to start when I remembered that Bubby received a bunch of foam paper in bright colors for his birthday.

I put the four different colored papers around the room, and then I put a pile of matching blocks on the floor. I made Bugaboo squat to pick up and place on the correct paper (gross motor). I also made him repeat the color words each time (speech). He sorted the blocks better than he ever had before and was very pleased with the praise I gave him.  The foam paper was nice because it matched almost perfectly with the blocks and was durable for the two-year-old hands that kept touching it.



In addition to the boys' favorite book on colors (Brown Bear, Brown Bear), we also read a new-to-us book several times.

Later this week, I realized that Bubby also received foam sticker dinosaurs that were the same color as the paper/blocks.  So Bugaboo and I worked on sorting these much of the same way as we did the blocks. However, this time I just let him sit instead of standing and squatting down. We focused on fine motor since the stickers were small.  After the sorting I let both boys decorate a piece of the foam paper with the stickers.   Thanks, Babushka, for the fun art supplies for Bubby that doubled up as learning experience for Bugaboo!


Disclosure: Some of the links to books are through my amazon affiliate account. 

3 comments:

  1. What an ADORABLE idea and I'm with you on needing low prep ideas. My kids are all beyond this point now, but I'm going to share on Pinterest. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ADORABLE idea and I'm with you on needing low prep ideas. My kids are all beyond this point now, but I'm going to share on Pinterest. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words (and for sharing.) I have enjoyed reading your "psychowith6" blog.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!