Sunday, August 4, 2013

"Not Back To School Blog Hop" 2013-14 Curriculum

So I think I can call myself a homeschooler now. Much like everything else in life, there is no perfect label for me or what I do. However, I am excited to share what I am planning on doing with Bubby (4) and Bugaboo (2 1/2 with special needs) this school year on this blog hop.

I feel like I must first mention I don't do anything extremely formal.  All of the resource I use I only use on the days Bubby is interested. I follow his lead, and his interests because he is a preschooler. For instance, he didn't want to work on learning to read this week, so we didn't. We just did our normal read lots of books together and play a lot. Everything is a learning activity when you are four and two. Or thirty-two.

2013-2014 "curriculum"



  • The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading - This is simple. No bells and whistles. It works for us at this point. I feel it gives a strong phonics foundation. I also write the lesson he is to read on notebook paper because the print is kind of small for my four year old's focus. We also use Bob Books and other phonics readers from the library from time to time.
  • Math-U-See Primer -we are only a few lessons in - Bubby loves working with the blocks. He also likes the worksheets which is funny because he is not a worksheet or coloring book kid in most other circumstances.
  • Handwriting Without Tears - Bubby is not a fan of writing or coloring. He would paint every day if I would let him. I am hoping this will be a painless introduction into handwriting since he can sound out/spell simple words, but he has no desire whatsoever to write them down.
  • Before Five in a Row/Five in a Row literature and activities. We started these books and activities this summer, and we love them.
  • For family devotionals we are using the Wondrous Works of God. I am also pondering using the Bible Road Trip (the preschool level).
  • Bugaboo, even with his mysterious delays, has really picked up on letters for some reason. Therefore I plan on doing some informal letter activities with him, as well as of course letting him participate in Bubby's activities as much as he wants and is able. We will keep working on his speech and language goals, his sensory activities and fine motor skills  for OT and gross motor skills for PT.
  • I also send Bubby to a Christian preschool two mornings a week. It allows me to get some one-on-one time with Bugaboo. I feel it helps him not feel left out since Bug goes to a lot of therapy activities where Bubby just has to sit, watch and be quiet.
Mostly we just spend a lot of time in our house reading books together, singing, playing. I am blessed that I get to stay home with my kids and take this type of a role in their education. Everything is flexible. My main goal is to help both of my boys with their strengths and their weaknesses and to instill in them a love  of learning.

2 comments:

  1. I like it! Your main goal is perfect :) good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kindergartener is using HWT, MUS and An Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading too. I also have a 16 month old son with Down Syndrome and a 7 year old daughter(2nd grade)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!